Editors Note By Albert N. Milliron
Congressman Anthony Weiner was a Democratic rock star not unlike the Young Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. He was sure to be a shoe in for Mayor of New York City and even had some folks looking at him as a Democratic version of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
Weiner had a way with making proposed government cuts by Republicans look comical and ineffectual. He often took to the floor and made fun of the GOP attempts to kill NPR’s Car Talk or sacrificing Big Bird. He was fun to watch, even if you sat on the other side of the issues.
Maybe that is the reason right-wing blogs and commentators took so much joy watching him come down as news of his Twitter Sexting, phone sex, and chatting up a porn star came to light over the weekend.
Having a last name like ‘Weiner’ where the best fun off all, as those of us liked to use word play had a field day. Political Pundits became political punsters and the hits just kept on coming.
But when it was all over, and the fun turned into the realization that Weiner is a Congressman representing the people of New York. It became clear that he is just another politician to add to the list, both Democrat and Republican, that have failed the American people in fixing the problems that are the most important to Americans in 2011: The Economy, Jobs, the National Debt, failing Infrastructure, the role of Government, Education, Taxes, Entitlement programs and National Defense.
While Weiner was Sexting, Our Government is failing. But what we did for a weekend was focus on the failing of a Congressman. Maybe Weiner helped us in a way, like going to a movie when the world is falling apart outside the theater.
For whatever reason, it is time to return to what is important. Whether Anthony Weiner should resign is not the question the Collective should be asking, that is for the people in the Ethics committee and the people in his district in New York. What we should be looking for is answers on our growing national debt, unemployment, etc.
I am reminded that all of us have personal failings, and it is always easier to point at the failings of others, but when it is all said and done, we must all look in the mirror and account for our own missteps.
It is time to get back on the road that leads to the recovery of America. It is easy to focus on Congressman Weiner, but by doing so like peering through a pair of Binoculars, it defocuses on other things, things we need to be focused on like a laser beam. That area of focus should be the 2012 Election.
- Can Anthony Weiner Keep It Up? [Weinergate] (gawker.com)
- Rep. Anthony Weiner Photo Scandal Weinergate Lewd Sexting List Grows (binsidetv.net)
- Meagan Broussard: I Sexted With Anthony Weiner Too! (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Former “Friend of Weiner” Donald Trump Weighs In: “He’s a Psycho” (dancleary.typepad.com)
- Anthony Weiner Shirtless Photos, Allegations of ‘Sexting’ Emerge (towleroad.com)
- Today’s dramatic Anthony Weiner admission: What happened (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Trump: ‘Anthony Weiner is a Bad Guy, a Psycho’ (Does Donald Want Back the Campaign Contributions?) (michellemalkin.com)
- Majority Don’t Think Weiner Should Resign (politicalwire.com)
- Donald Trump on Anthony Weiner: What a Psycho! (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Anthony Weiner’s Scramble to Save His House Seat (thedailybeast.com)